Thursday, February 20, 2014

Art and Books

In my last post I talked about Leibovitz's book Pilgrimage and her comments on digital photography.  Today I'm reading about her visits to the Georgia O'Keeffe sites in New Mexico:  Abiquiu House, Ghost Ranch and the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum and Research Center in Santa Fe.  Visit here for commentary and beautiful views of the properties.  Abiquiu House is not open to the public, but Leibovitz contacted the museum and research center and obtained a personal tour as well as access to archives in the research center.  She notes that there were flat files with drawers full of various kinds of art supplies including O'Keeffe's handmade pastels.  When I saw Leibovitz's photograph of these pastels, I became very still and imagined O'keeffe's hands forming these custom colors--the colors of her landscape.


Georgia O'Keeffe made these pastels.

My pastels.  I did not make them and I'm only just beginning to learn how to use them.


I took this photo yesterday looking across the road from Rita's farmhouse--a monotone landscape of snow-covered cornfield and overcast sky.




No comments:

Post a Comment