Saturday, May 3, 2014

Art and Flower Arranging Vessels

The Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, MD is currently exhibiting "Designed for Flowers:  Contemporary Japanese Ceramics" through May 11, 2014.  We were fortunate to see this exhibit just before Easter and finally this week I was able to take time to view the photos.  Although I am in no way knowledgeable or experienced in the Japanese art form of ikebane flower arranging, it was easy to enjoy this exhibit of beautiful forms, textures and colors.  I could see some of the shapes translated into paintings.  In the coming days I plan to try out some ideas inspired by this exhibit.  You can read more about it here.

A note about my current exhibit at the York Art Association:  The exhibit continues to draw visitors and I am gratified by all the positive feedback and the sale of two paintings.  Many thanks to my out-of-town friends who continue to support my efforts and go beyond the call of duty to attend my openings and cheer me on.  I'm incredibly blessed.  The next exhibit opens in July with several new pieces.  I'm excited about their debut.



Looking into one of ikebane vessels--I love the Zen garden quality of this texture.

This gives an idea of the variety of designs.

The left and center vessel remind me of the scenery driving from West Virginia into Western Maryland.

Side view of one of the previous vessels.

No comments:

Post a Comment