Monday, December 29, 2014

Monday After Christmas

So nice to have a day with no place in particular to be, and really enjoying time to catch up on odds and ends.  This morning I called my sister-in-law who lives in Miami.  She couldn't talk long because she was off to see an exhibit of colossal sculptured heads at Pinecrest Gardens.  She asked if I was familiar with the 16th c. artist, Giuseppe Arcimboldo.  Well, the name wasn't totally unfamiliar, but I couldn't place him until she mentioned his portraits incorporating elements of still life---that is, combining fruits, vegetables and other natural forms into human likenesses.   It's hard for me to explain, so I will refer you to this link for images of Arcimboldo's work.  The contemporary artist, Philip Haas, has taken Arcimboldo's nature-inspired portrait style out into the man-made natural world of gardens as a setting for his "Four Seasons" heads.  This exhibit was at the Atlanta Botanical Garden this past summer and there are excellent photos of Haas' heads as well as an informative article here.  If I were in Miami today, I'd be with my sister-in-law viewing this surreal, whimsical exhibit.

On Christmas rounds

A Christmas favorite 

No comments:

Post a Comment