Thursday, January 22, 2015

Art, Weather and Photography

Just in from helping Barry clear snow from the driveway and walkways.  Also needed to get up to the compost bin with kitchen scraps.  This winter weather is lovely to gaze on, but it certainly is a lot of work in terms of wrestling snow gear off and on.  Usually January provides a concentrated time for me to paint.  Not so this winter.  We managed to get away last week for a road trip to Williamsburg, Charlottesville and Staunton.  I've shared some photos in this post and will share others in the next one. I made a point not to carry a camera everywhere we went because if I have it, I can't resist shooting.  Digital photography is an amazing invention, but it comes at a price.  Within minutes we can shoot hundreds of images if we keep our finger on the shutter release.  While visiting the blacksmith in Williamsburg, there was a gentleman standing next to me who had two DSLRs with which he was snapping almost every movement of the blacksmith.  I've done a bit of shooting like that myself, but at the end of the day you have hundreds of photos--at the end of a week, thousands.  Part of me doesn't care, but as I get older I'm questioning this over accumulation of photos and I thought I would try experiencing a new place without a camera--at least on alternating days.  Sometimes I missed the camera, but mostly I loved the freedom of just "looking".   


Glass beakers created at the Glass House in Historic Jamestown, VA

Making glass 

Forming a teapot

A finished teapot

Morning after freezing rain in Williamsburg, VA
   

No comments:

Post a Comment