Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Self-Portraits

These last weeks I've been digging into self-portraits.  I'm old enough to see a pattern here.  There have been several changes and shifts in my life recently:  becoming a grandmother for the first time, friends moving, another friend caring for her dying mother and other shifts in my little universe. I find myself turning inward and making sure that I'm okay in this ever changing world.  Of course, I'm changing too and like Oscar Wilde who said, "I always travel with my notebook so I'll have something sensational to read", exploring the self through art is interesting, though probably not sensational.  


I began this collage on a painted canvas using photos and clippings that related to me.  It simmered this way for a couple of months.



Decided the first version was too busy and so I obscured some of the elements using a glaze of  interference green acrylic. Later in the day I was photographing the garden and turned the camera on me and the Pandora statue.  As soon as I viewed it I knew I had to paint it on top of the collage.  So that's what I'm doing and I like how it's coming along.  Hoping to have it done in a couple of days.



































No comments:

Post a Comment