Wednesday, August 5, 2015

August Greetings and Happy Birthday to Me

Loving this day.  The weather is gorgeous and I'm delivering some of my art for exhibit later today.  For the first time, I will have art on display at two different galleries in the same month.  I call it a birthday gift.  One of the pieces at The Rooted is an acrylic painting entitled "Passage".  The work started as a photograph of climbing hydrangea in winter.  A copy of the photograph is below (the original file is archived and don't have time to look for it now).  The pattern of the vines interested me enough to make a drawing.  Even as I worked on the drawing, I was seeing a sunset coming through and over the fence. The painting evolved into something that was totally about me and the loss of my eldest son from leukemia in 2011.  In a way, it is a self-portrait.  Without realizing it and without copying it, that face is the face of me just before my son launched out on his own in the late 1990's.  It was a time of transition for both of us.  Now the painting will be part of an exhibit entitled "HEAT".  I think it fits very well.  The painting has been seen a good bit the past year and I'm pleased that viewers interpret it in various ways--a good thing and very gratifying.  The photos are various stages of the work.  For some reason, I couldn't get them to upload in order so I've numbered them.

Here are details for the August exhibits:

Exhibit:  "HEAT"
The Rooted Artist Collective
101 N. Newberry St.
York, PA  17401
Opening:  First Friday, August 7, 2015   5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Gallery hours:  Wednesday through Saturday 11:00 am to 8:00 pm  Sunday 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
therootedart@gmail.com

Exhibit: "MirrorMirror"
HIVE artspace
126 E. King St.
York, PA 17401
Opening:  First Friday, August 7, 2015  6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Gallery hours:  Thursday through Saturday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm and by appointment
917 971-7456    HIVEartspace@gmail.com


#2 the pencil and conte drawing

#3

#4

#6 - I changed the orientation and started working without a reference.

#5

#7  A pastel sketch of what I wanted to merge with the painting.

#1 - the photograph that started it all

"Passage" acrylic on canvas  14" x 18"














No comments:

Post a Comment