Monday, August 17, 2015

Upcoming Exhibit

The York Art Association is preparing for their next exhibit "Page to Palette" which opens Sunday, August 30, 2015.  Details are here.  This exhibit is looking for artists who have been inspired by poetry or prose in the making of art.  The words that inspired will be displayed along with the art.  I will be participating with this piece:

Impalpable Mist


The tree pictured in this layered photograph is across the street from my driveway.  Beyond the tree is a steep slope and a large pond.  On foggy, misty mornings this tree, the pond and wooded hillside  become a mysterious landscape--beautiful and unknown. Frequently I think of the opening lines of Carl Sandburg’s “The Mist”.   When the photographs became an art project, I immediately thought of the title, “Impalpable Mist”.

Here is the poem “The Mist”:

I AM the mist, the impalpable mist,
Back of the thing you seek.
My arms are long,
Long as the reach of time and space.

Some toil and toil, believing
Looking now and again on my face,
Catching a vital, olden glory.

But no one passes me,
I tangle and snare them all.
I am the cause of the Sphinx,
The voiceless, baffled, patient Sphinx.

I was at the first of things,
I will be at the last.

    I am the primal mist
    And no man passes me;
    My long impalpable arms
    Bar them all.

-Carl Sandburg


No comments:

Post a Comment