Saturday, September 5, 2015

I Shall Paint My Nails Red

My friend, Maryel Henderson entered her self-portrait in the Page to Palette exhibit at the York Art Association recently.  It won First Place in the professional category.  She allowed me to post the following photo of her with the painting.  She is an artist I greatly admire for her skill in a variety of mediums and her quirky sense of humor.  She says she has been aware of needing and expressing humor since early childhood when she papered her attic room with newspaper comic pages.  In this portrait, she was sitting in a wheelchair recovering from an injury.  She amused herself by painting her finger nails often with a variety of colors. 



Here is the poem:

I Shall Paint My Nails Red
         by Carole Satyamurti

Because a bit of color is a public service.
Because I am proud of my hands.
Because it will remind me I'm a woman.
Because I will look like a survivor.
Because I can admire them in a mirror.
Because my daughter will say ugh.
Because my lover will be surprised.
Because it is quicker than dying my hair.
Because it is a ten-minute moratorium.
Because it is reversible.

No comments:

Post a Comment