Thursday, December 31, 2015

Some Thoughts and Wishes for the New Year

Wow, New Year's Eve is here.  I love staying home on New Year's Eve and taking time to reflect on the past year and meditating on what I hope for the year ahead.  I feel my eyes opening wide to the future and hoping that the year ahead will be full of adventure, full of knowledge, love, understanding, compassion, growth and peace on earth.  I warn myself that I can't control very many things and I have to remain flexible and understanding.  Make good plans, but be ready for wonderful surprises and upsetting bumps in the road.  Stay informed of what's happening in the world, but understand that sometimes the best we can do is show compassion to those in our family, circle of friends and community.  With the world growing so small and information hitting us at lightning speed, beauty provides a respite.  Art and life are inseparable.  Beauty in nature is probably the biggest inspiration toward creating art.  Contemplating nature, beautiful gardens, architecture, works of art, even beautifully prepared food,  calms and soothes a trouble spirit.  Giving thanks is something else I like to express at the end of the year.  When I started this blog, it seemed the easiest and cheapest way to have a web presence with my art.  I'm rather proud of myself that I got this far and actually enjoy keeping the site alive with updates.  Expect improvements in the new year.  Thank you for your participation this past year.  

While editing photos, a few things made me pause:


My Utah boy, Camden, surrounded by snow.


October in Estonia--in the park walking towards the Presidential Palace

Shopping in Tallinn, Estonia:  Hey, there's my sweater!  I bought one just like it in Trakai, Lithuania.

Photo of me taking photos courtesy of my daughter-in-law.  We were visiting Dinosaur National Monument, Utah together.




From the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia:  Rembrandt's "The Prodigal Son".  Hard to believe, but I checked my camera with my bag and just concentrated on looking.  Have to admit, there were moments when I was sorry.  This painting was probably the highlight for me.  We had come into a gallery that contained several large Rembrandt's.  We turned a corner and here was this one.  I simply broke into tears.  A shock went through me and I'm sure some truth was revealed that I haven't yet understood.  When I related this story to my friend, David, he sent me this copy.

Thank you one and all for making this blog so much fun.  Best wishes for 2016.  Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment