Thursday, February 25, 2016

Exhibits

Although I haven't posted much about exhibits lately, there is plenty to see in our small city of York, PA.  First Friday marks the opening of new exhibits in most of the galleries, but there are a few exceptions.   Winter has dulled my attentiveness to what is going on where, but I will gather all the news of what's coming up for my next post.  It will definitely help me get up to speed if nothing else.  One definite is that The Parliament Arts Organization is opening an exhibit entitled "Identity" on March 2, 2016.  One of my self-portraits has been accepted--hurray!  I've been wanting to get my foot in the door at this gallery, so I'm very, very pleased.  You can read more about the exhibit and The Parliament here.  The exhibit runs through April 30, 2016.  More details on the Exhibits page to follow.

Blurb.com recently sent a 35% off coupon for my next book.  I'm so close to finishing the Poland chronicles.  That discount should pull me to the finish line.  I have a love/hate relationship with editing and organizing travel photography, but the payoff is how much more I remember about the history, people, culture and the whole experience of travel because in putting together the book, I am really reliving the experiences.  I also keep a journal as I go along because I forget so much, and it's not getting better as I get older.


Touring castle hill in Krakow:  The photo top right is the entrance to a little gallery housing Leonardo DaVinci's "The Lady in Ermine"  

Had an entertaining afternoon touring the Weiliczka Salt Mine--a very old mine which opened in the 13thc. and was still in commercial operation until 1997.  It absolutely stopped production in 2007.  The mine is like a city with essential services, accommodations, recreational facilities and an ornate chapel.  Today the mine is used for overnight corporate functions, youth events, weddings, Christmas Eve services---the list goes on.  The center right photo shows our guide and Barry shooting basketball.  The court is regulation size--quite amazing.

This is the oldest building complex of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow.  It was founded in 1364 by Casimir III the Great of Krakow.  This beautiful courtyard area contains the entrance to the university museum.  

Krakow is one of those perfect little cities set along side a river with rolling hills all around and lots of green space within including bicycle paths.  And then there's the architecture, much of it ancient and beautifully preserved from medieval castles to a 700 year-old market square.  I've already talked myself into going back.  I found a good read on Krakow's architecture here.




No comments:

Post a Comment