Sunday, April 10, 2016

April and the Power of Positive Thinking

Those few warm days in March, with temperatures climbing to 80 degrees F. , now seem like a fantasy.  In the last few days we've had below freezing nights and snow showers off and on.  Tulips which are in bud and ready to open are collapsed on the ground waiting for warmer weather.  Hope they make it.  I'm an optimistic person and have surveyed my world and situation and understand that later blooming plants will give us cheer and the cold weather is giving me some time for indoor projects which I'm finding satisfying.  In particular, I'm gathering ideas and materials for a workshop I will be teaching in August:  Creative Digital Photography.  I will be posting more about this as I nail down the topics and activities.  The course is particularly aimed at individuals who take lots of photos with their digital cameras and cellphones and haven't figured out what to do with them other than post them on social media or pile them up in the "cloud".  I have lots of ideas and look forward to sharing them.

Today is the opening of York Art Association's "Spring Members' Exhibit".  The reception is 2:00-4:00 p.m.  Just before that at 1:30 is the dedication of the sculpture garden.  The address is 220 S. Marshall St., York, PA.  I will be there.




A friend will be traveling to Rome, Venice and other delightful places in a few weeks and the thought of Venice made me sigh with yearning.  I did have an opportunity to visit briefly (one day, one night) in October of 2012.  The highlight of the experience was cruising into the lagoon in the early morning (around 6:00 a.m.)  We stood on deck with our coffee in the dim, foggy morning, and watched as day brightened with diffused sunlight and shapes of buildings emerged from the mist.  It was Sunday morning and church bells began ringing all over the islands as we drew closer.  I'm feeling shivers now as I remember the enchantment.











By the time we docked, the fog had burned off.  We arrived near San Marco via some type of water bus in time to enjoy looking around before the square filled with tourists. Oh, did it fill!  We had an early ticket for touring the Doges Palace and when we again emerged into San Marco's Piazza, it was jammed with people.  Thankfully, just moving away from San Marco's gave us plenty of breathing room and beautiful, winding streets and canal views.  






Sunlight played its magic in the late afternoon.










No comments:

Post a Comment