Thursday, July 21, 2016



One of the many things I love about foreign travel is coming home with a virtual treasure chest.  You can put it in a corner of your mind until you have time to process it.  I'm sure for some that day never comes, but I take so many photographs it's easier for me to stay connected to experiences.  While exploring Lithuania last autumn, I saw a book on the Lithuanian painter, Mikaljous Konstantinas Ciurlionis.  I was attracted by the colors and shapes in his paintings and took a quick photo to remind me to look him up when I got home--which I did this week.  A few quick facts:  Ciurlionis was born in 1875 and died at the age of 35.  He was a musical prodigy and most of his education was music related.  Upon completing his formal education, he enrolled at the Warsaw School of Fine Arts where he studied drawing.  He came to believe he was a synesthete--perceiving colors and music simultaneously.  Many of his paintings bear the names of musical pieces.  He was considered one of the symbolist painters who used mythology and dream imagery--often with intensely personal or ambiguous references. Ciurlionis' painting directly influenced Art Nouveau as well as other lesser-known movements.  You can read lots more here, which is the site of the Mikaljous Konstantinas Ciurlionis National Art Museum in Kaunas, Lithuania.  I truly enjoyed exploring the online galleries which include his paintings, prints, postcards and photography.  All of the images below come from the museum's website.

Bridges

Cloud Boat

Funeral Symphony

Paradise

Raigardas

Rural Cemetery

Sonata of the Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment