Monday, September 26, 2016

Back to the Drawing Board

The drawing class meets on Monday mornings for ten weeks.  We are a class of 15.  Most of us are intermediate painters.  Two are taking a drawing class for the first time.  I have studied three semesters of drawing in college as well as taking a few drawing workshops through the years.  I tend to be a guesstimator and eyeball what I'm trying to draw or paint.  In cooking, I do the same thing.
The first three sessions of this class is all about measuring and perspective.  I don't want to tell you how long it took me to plot the objects below.  I am proud of myself that I'm not letting the better students make me feel incompetent.  See, I put my smiling face on the paper.   


Later, we drew the objects again, but this time we worked on shadow and light and attempted to give the still life a three-dimensional quality.  Getting better.  Working on another still life before moving on to landscape perspective next week.  Hoping to have some better drawings to share as time goes on.



Quite some time ago, I started an abstract oil painting that I recently titled "The Lake District".  I also recently added another layer and think it's finally done.



Have managed to carve out some time to work on editing travel photos.  Currently working on the Latvia portion of our 2015 visit to the Baltic countries, so I will be sharing a few of my favorites in the coming weeks.  Have not researched the name of this black bird. I saw them frequently in Riga.  This one is making sure his feathers are on straight.




Riga is the capital of Latvia and I loved it right away for its friendly inhabitants, food markets  and its wealth of Art Nouveau architecture and decoration.  Walking around the old city I found this interesting mural.



On the highway towards Riga, we saw this image on a billboard--an atmospheric shot of a Latvian blue cow.  Yes, they are bluish in color.  They are an old local breed adapted to the modest feeding conditions of sandy, seaside soil.  I have read that they are bred all over the country, but I did not actually see a single one.


No comments:

Post a Comment