Friday, September 2, 2016

September and Contemplating Autumn

August with all the festivities and house guests is over.  The whole summer has been something to cherish, but now the changing of the light and the evening chorus of locusts, crickets, etc. signals the approach of my favorite season.  After a whole month off from painting, I'm getting the studio cleaned up and anxious to put in some hours there in the coming days.  In the meantime, I've been doing lots of photography and learning some (new to me) apps for the iPad:  Procreate and Note Shelf.  I've had Procreate for over a year but haven't quite figured out how it fits in my art life.  Note Shelf has been around for a while, but it's totally new to me.  Both apps allow you to combine photos with text, drawing and painting.  Right now, I'm liking Note Shelf better because I do take a lot of notes and I love adding all sorts of things to them.  I will share my first effort.  Hoping to get a lot better control of the stylus.


In a couple of weeks I'm starting a drawing class with an outstanding teacher, Phyllis Disher Fredericks.  Drawing is fundamental in art and I don't work on it enough.  I was reminded of this during the painting workshop in July with Brett Grieman.  He emphasized a good drawing and tone painting and it was amazing how well the painting part went with this good foundation.  Below are some paintings I did in a workshop many years ago.




A couple of years ago I took a photo of Chinese paper lanterns--the common name of Physalis alkekengi.  These are in a dried arrangement and the sun was hitting them just so.  The camera in hand was an iPod4--not a good camera and the photo is what you see below.



I keep seeing a painting here and maybe I will see what I can do with it.  A starting point for the photographer in me is play with it in Photoshop (I have an early version).  Here is what I came up with, and the experiments make me feel I could create a painting.

Cutout

Ink Outlines

HDR toning and brush tool painting


I have thought of planting Chinese paper lanterns in the garden until I read how invasive and deep rooted they are.  Never mind, I can get more dried ones at Willow Oak Herb Farm where I found the ones in the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment