Sunday, March 26, 2017


My Studio and Thinking of Drawing

Loving my studio, although I think sometimes it is too stimulating.  I'm always tempted by the boxes of old photos and vintage postcards.  On other shelves are art books, old sketchbook journals, and folders of clippings ( old-school Pinterest).  Lately I've been pinning inspiring images from Instagram, but so far I hardly go back to look at them--so many years of clipping and saving.  Having said that, I'm going to have a look later today and see if anything prompts action.  For the time being, I'm sticking with drawing because life is full of many things right now and drawing fits.  My latest sketches are from museum catalogs.  Now that Spring is here, I'll start sketching from life outdoors.  

"Thinking of Drawing" is the title of an article by James McMullan.  I tore it out of the March/April 1989 Print magazine.  It's just one of the many items unearthed during the studio purging.  I can see that I saved this article for the illustrations of the progression of four students in his figure drawing class.  He believes that to draw is to see, and how can you create art if you cannot see.  I do get his point, but I also know some artists who draw/paint what they dream or imagine. Some construct a painting by the "stroke and respond" method--an emotional approach, or pour and manipulate the paint and build on what emerges.   I enjoyed McMullan's article and agree that if we want to paint the physical aspects of the world around us, we need to draw.  But I can't put limits on what art is.  In fact, I'm still learning what art is.




There is a blank white wall on one side of the studio.  I'm thinking of painting a mural on it, but haven't come up with a theme or design yet.  I'll let it perk for awhile.  I really like this mural seen in Zagreb back in November.




Fleeting late afternoon light on my dresser top. I really should draw that little figure.



While sweeping debris from the patio, I moved the glider bench and looked at the last of winter through the framework.






No comments:

Post a Comment