Sunday, March 19, 2017


The Big Clean out/Re-organization 

The many inclement days of Winter are a great time to clean out and de-clutter closets and drawers.  I've embraced the habit even more this season after reading some articles about the book Spark Joy by Marie Kondo.  I don't think I care to be as minimalist as she, but I know I can do it if I ever have to.  I've adopted her folding techniques and my drawers are definitely more artful.  I'm also de-cluttering by asking myself, does this item add to my joy or detract?  As a result, I've donated
quite a bit of clothing, shoes, handbags and coats.  This is an improvement on my previous rule, which began around 2010, that if I buy a new article of clothing or a new book, I have to giveaway or discard an article of clothing or a book.

The above photo was found in a drawer.  It's a self-portrait during a time I was doing a portrait photography workshop. The print is in bad shape.  I scanned it for posting and tried to clean it up with Photoshop, but I'm afraid this is as good as it gets.  The year is probably 1998 and the camera was a Minolta SLR.  I still have that camera and feel an urge to buy some B&W film and see what I can do with it.

And now to the recent past with a digital self-portrait at a cafe on Castle Hill in Budapest.  It was a gray day outside and this orange really made me happy.



Here are some photographs seen at the Compass Hotel in Dubrovnik.  I would call them photographs as concept art because the entire hotel was filled with black & white (sepia & white) photographs of all sizes in which the concept artist had made marks on them.  I don't know what to say about them except that some of them agreed with me and some did not.



I'm still still trying to sketch everyday.  For now, I'm still into fashion magazines.  Apologies to Jimmy Fallon.




More from my photography mini project "Written in the Trees".



No comments:

Post a Comment