Friday, June 23, 2017


Thinking Big

At the end of May I bought a Sunday New York Times.  Because I have so many demands on my reading time, it takes about two weeks to finish reading it.  I save the Art and Books for last--like dessert.  My favorite article in Art was about the recent opening of Building 6 at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, Massachusetts.  This is a museum that can handle some really big installations along with performing arts events.  The museum is on 16 acres that had formerly been a 19th c. factory complex.  Although the original plan in 1986 was to simultaneously rehabilitate all 28 buildings, economic necessity required a slower development.  This past May marked the opening of Building 6 which houses works of James Turrell, Jenny Holzer, Laurie Anderson,  Louise Bourgeois, Robert Rauschenberg and Gunnar Schonbeck.  The article discusses each of these artists/artist estates and the works that will be on exhibit over the next several years.  I am ready to plan a trip during a slow time and simply enjoy exploring the site and discovering artists that are relatively new to me.  Rauschenberg and Laurie Anderson are most familiar to me.  I'm most interested to see James Turrell's light and space installations.  "The showstopper here is Mr. Turrell's Ganzfeld installation, one of the tallest he's ever constructed.  Stairs lead to a large rectangle of color that you can step into: a 30-foot high chamber bathed in slowly shifting hues that slide through the spectrum from the softest gray to a saturated tangerine red, challenging depth perception.  Mr. Turrell has programmed a quick strobe blast every nine minutes as a palette cleanser for your eyes."  Read the article here.  I was thinking I would like to blow up some of my glass images as an installation.  Even better would be super-sized chunks of the glass itself with special lighting.





Last night was the opening of Ophelia Chambliss' "Contiguous" exhibit.  Experiencing diversity through art by representing the diversity, connectedness and commonalities of York County, PA residents.  She chose 60 of her York County contacts on Facebook, and using only their profile photo, made a contiguous line portrait (drawing the complete portrait without lifting the drawing instrument from the surface until the drawing was complete).  I was one of the chosen and I loved the experience of being part of this project and meeting new people who support the arts in York county.  Part of the project included writing a statement about ourselves.  Here is a short sampling of the statements:

1. Adult children have crashed 5 cars in 1 1/2 years.
2. Artist that paints large pieces with glass.
3. Commissioner for the PA Liquor Control Board.
4. Fresh Meat with York Roller Derby Dames.
5. Drives a yellow corvette that was a gift in high school.
6. Mosquito hunter who also keeps York beautiful.
7. Stone sculptor

I didn't include my statement because you would know right away it's me.

Other photos from the opening:



Check out more works by Ophelia Chambliss here.

No comments:

Post a Comment